Monday, January 29, 2007

Its Hard, Its Easy- It’s a state of mind by Fahad



I was born Muslim, to Muslim parents. Growing up was easy, easier was falling for the worldly life. Longing for good clothes, nice car, and wasting money was part of life, alcohol and women were things of entertainment.

Without realizing where I was heading, I continued for years until it became a habit, things started going out of control, was cursing myself for the failure which came my way until I realized that I, myself was the reason for my self destruction.

It’s really hard to let go of the things which make you happy, it’s hard to let go of the people who make you laugh, it’s hard to let go of things which you have grown up with.

Whenever I thought of changing my direction in life something or someone would come along who wouldn’t let me leave the path of my self destruction. I started losing my own identity. I was losing control. People and things around me controlled my life; I used to live for them, used to do things they asked me to do. Being a Muslim just became a name tag.

I had to figure out the problem which I was facing, my outlook was of being wild and happy, but deep inside I was just a robot programmed to live a life which led me to nothing. If I look back it seems I never had brains, it was a total blank up there.

Muslims who grow up in an environment of worldly good tend lose their identity, like I did. Purpose of our creation on this earth was that we should to do well and live for the life of hereafter but instead temptations of the worldly good, led us to self destruction.

Shaytan (the devil) plays an important part in the whole purpose of our creation, weakness of my faith led to failure. I started blaming Shaytan (the Devil) for all what I did, and then one fine day I realized the real failure lies in my weakness for worldly good.

In the beginning Its was really hard for me to leave things which I enjoyed the most, I couldn’t imagine my life without people around me who I knew for ages and entertainment I was into. It was like I was addicted to something that if I leave I would die or become a mad man. I made my world in a bubble, whatever I saw was my world in there. Looking beyond that bubble was a nightmare of darkness.

But the life expectancy of the bubble is short lived, from somewhere wind of mercy blew on that bubble and my life sentence of thirty years was over. The new lease of life in the outside world seemed strange to me, I didn’t know people, and no one knew me. It was the hardest thing I was going through, who in the world at the peak of his youth would leave pleasures of life. The women, the parties, the clothes, coffee shops, music, movies seemed to be the hardest addiction to quit, Quitting life altogether seemed easier. The feeling I had, reminded of a breakups I had after every breakup life came to an end, loss of appetite, loneliness, guilt and realization of a loss of a loved one.

As the time went on I felt at ease, I was seeing a world I have never seen before, met the people I never met before. Just like after a break up you meet a different person and that person occupies your mind and makes you forget your past, Islam had that effect on me, it helped me forget and realize that the world is way beyond the temptations and entertainment of life.

I rediscovered Islam again; it was a treasure map that was lost in my mind somewhere during my time of self destruction. The path at first seemed rocky and harsh, but when I started to follow it, it gave me sense of self satisfaction. Fear of worldly things started to disappear, for a change there were no hangovers, drunk driving, waste of money, and fear of sexual disease, disrespect and disloyalty of people of the past.

On this path of Islam people seem to be more honest, helpful, clean from worldly desires and down to earth, I suddenly feel like home. The hardest thing seems to be the easiest; I realized it was just state of mind that I was into.

Living on this earth will always make me prone to the evils of life, the past keeps coming back. Realization of my weakness for the evil of the world has made me a better person then I was in the time of ignorance at least now I know what to guard against. My mind isn’t blank anymore; no person or anything can control me. I am trying to control my life from now on, strive (Jihad) against my temptations, Strive (Jihad) to be a better person and Strive (Jihad) in the way of Allah.

The Right path seems hard just because we think it’s hard, if you follow it than Allah will make things easier for you. The path of evil will be lonely; if need company then we should take the right path because Allah will be with us.

Allah Says:
“…Thus did Adam disobey his Lord, so he went astray.” (Qur’an: Translation of the meaning, 20:121)
“But whosoever turns away from My Reminder (i.e. neither belies in this Qur’an nor acts on its teaching) verily, for him is a life of hardship….” (Qur’an: Translation of the meaning, 20:124)
The definite result for disobeying Allah and following the way of the Satan and is sadness, misguidance, trouble, and wretchedness.

18 comments:

Veiled Muslimah said...

Assalam Alaykum,

Loving the blog and the posts. This one was really interesting. It's amazing how Allah s.w.t guides people. Mashallah.

May Allah s.w.t make all of us pious Muslims. Ameen.

Wa Alaykumsalam wrbt

Anonymous said...

Lovely...amazin post

Anonymous said...

uve done a pretty good work by giving a sense in to loads of ppl out there through this blog...we all knw wht islam is but as muslims where r we heading???
i was my self pretty much upset thinking bout wht life is all bout and where its taking me...till i read it...its like im reading my very own life story written in front of me...simple! nw i can think clearly!!! thank u for posting me... sofia, uk

Anonymous said...

good work!

Anonymous said...

as a converted german muslim i had similar experiences and feelings in my life and i want to say that this article really shows the present reality and reached my heart in a special way.Alhamdulillah Allah showed you the right way and i hope many muslims who are in a similar situation will read your article,think deeply about it and if necessary consequently change something in their lives.In scha Allah...

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home! I glad you realised before it was too late, isn't Allah Merciful? I think you'll make a much better Muslim this time around, because the things that everyone else thinks they are missing you have already experienced and rejected. May Allah forgive you and us all and keep our feet firmly rooted in eemaan...aameen!

Anonymous said...

mashallah nice work....

Unknown said...

salam,

i always loose interest reading something lengthy, but this one is different, interesting with a very original touch, especially the change you have gone through! may ALLAH always keep u on the right track and make this path easier for u...!!!

wishes!!
ayesha ahmed.

Unknown said...

Hey Fahad,

Rediscovering is a very tough and long path......... U have the guts to admit your weakness and embark on the right way..... congratulations....... I hope all the lost muslims here in Dubai or elsewhere may get some inspiration from your confessions and struggles..... Keep it up good work

Keef said...

Interesting post...

Hot Lemon& Honey said...

Fahad, may you continue on this path. I am going through this phase too. My biggest hurdle is wearing the Hijab, but I've set a date and will follow through.
Moderation is good, I plan to be a moderate Muslim who is still able to enjoy life within what Islam permits.
Allah yehdi el Jamee3.

Fahad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fahad said...

@keefieboy: thanks for your comments

@hot lemon&honey: first of all thanks for your comments and i do understand how hard it is in the beginning...but you should take small steps towards what you want to do...Hijab seems to be the hardest thing to do for any muslim, but actually its not ....start by trying it out wear it once in a while and see how people react ...maybe you will gain confidence ....secondly yes moderation is very important as well as long as it does not go against your religion and morals.. if you want to be a practicing muslim in future ..for now atleast you can do is start by learning your religion better thn what you know Study more about it!..it should help u in future...may Allah give you and us all strenght to follow the path of Islam...take care n keep coming back i may write something about your comments soon and Always remeber it only looks hard path to follow cause its in your mind actually its the easiest ..Jazak Allah

Fahad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are finding happiness.. wherever that may be. I'm just a bit confused about the relationship between cafes, music, movies, taste in clothes and Islam is (or any other religion for that matter). Looks to me like you're heading from one extreme to another -- which is a very very very dangerous path.

Everything in moderation. I believe the Muslim's prophet has a hadeeth to that affect ("khayru ul umoori awsatoha").

But, allow me to tell you about myself. I love music (and some of it is rather vulgar), movies, women (I am married and my wife is a woman with whom I am loyal and deeply in love with).. but I do appreciate other women's beauty like any other straight man would.. I like having a good car, I do enjoy wearing good clothes (no, I'm not Mr. Armani, but I like to put on a good suit). Oh, and I definitely love sex.

I am not Muslim (born Muslim, turned atheist). I am happy. I really really really am happy. I have the same challenges everyone has in life. I don't need to have something mysterious validate my life for me, I have recognized that there are some questions I will never know the answer to. However, I have one simple philosophy in life:

I never chose to be here, but I am. Since I am here, I will make the best out of it.

Don't get me wrong, by that I don't mean I would step all over people. I wouldn't do anything to anyone that I wouldn't accept them doing to me. Common sense, really.

I do understand that religion can make people more at peace with themselves. That's great. I have Muslim friends. I have Christian friends. I have atheist friends. I have agnostic friends. I even know this one girl who thinks she worships Satan (but she just doesn't know much about it and thinks it's cool to wear the sign). She's got a bit of growing up to do.. but hey, this is life.

Fahad said...

@Athesit....in your comment you have my answer as well, i find peace with islam and i havent gone from one extreme to another. who doesnt love sex? i do to and i think every human being or infact an animal everyone loves sex, everyone loves cars,good cloths, music, movies and women....

its just that i have given priority to my religion instead of things, to do everything in moderation unlike in past i used to everything in extremes..illegal sex, drinking and harming myself and people around me, giving priority to good cloths and cars while other human beings were suffering with hunger...as for now i am looking for legal and respectful sexual relationship with my future wife,good cloths if i fullfill my charity duties,no drinking and creating havoc, and listing to music which is decent, and watching movies which help me increase my knowledge about reality instead of taking me into matrix.

i think thats moderation unlike people think islam is extreme, everything in islam is supppose to be moderate, people only dispute some aspects of islam just because it doesnt suit their lifestyles..those people can be fellow muslims, or from any other religions or an athesit.... for example : if you say i watch movies thats moderate if you dont thats extreme...but i would go vice versa and say watching a movie is extreme not watching is moderate...so the issue wont solve at all, its a blame game. for some people certain things are extreme and for some they are not......its how you look at things....

we just choose what is right for us or suits us and makes us happy...for you not believing in God makes you happy but i believe thats a total extreme a person should have faith in a religion cause it helps you understand what is right or wrong....if you dont believe in anything it means you are not accountable for your deeds either good or bad..if you do good deeds well enough but what if you commit any crime n not get caught by the government.... so where does it lead you, you wont have any guilt cause u dont have a reason to be guilty and change for good.... and then who would give justice to a person you have done bad with... thats why logically its important for a human being to have faith in something for betterment of the whole of humanity...

and in the end as you want to make the best out of it , i want the same for me... maybe i am strong as you are, i need something to hold me together and hold me accountable for my deeds good or bad...for me that is Islam...

thanks for your comments

Anonymous said...

It is fine as long as the path to "goodness" is "inclusive". Trouble starts when people start to become a part of a herd - or create new herds - turn exclusive - objects to the existence of anything other than the herd they are in.

In the end, as the 'fellow atheist' friend says, is all about common sense.

I like the quote on the header on this blog... The trouble is, there are a lot of people who consider belief in god is good enough, no matter what your deeds are. People need to know that they are responsible for their deeds - good or bad.

What I liked about your post is the fact that you realised that you have been on the wrong path and have shown a willingness to correct yourself. God bless you.

Fahad said...

@Socrates : thanks for your comments and yah i do agree with you that people shouldn become exclusive..Islam is a universal religion unlike what people assume... and also belief in God is just not enough, applying the teachings is more important.... take care ..keep passing by