Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Knowledge

Recently I had an argument with a friend. He, with his point - I with mine. I saw his point but I had mine too. Yet, I couldn't explain myself properly. At other times, with other people, I have realized I have the same problem. I cannot back up what knowledge I have with correct sources or reasoning. Usually when I was confused about some ruling I would look it up, satisfy myself as to what Islam's guidelines are about that certain matter. The knowledge was for me. Not to tell or relate it to others. I have been wrong in doing so. The point was driven home in the last argument I had with this certain friend.

Upset after having argued, I realized the fault lay within me. My lack of knowledge. I couldn't argue and I couldn't back up my point. Not with logic, nor with knowledge and facts. After that I promised myself that I will start reading more and insh'Allah gaining more knowledge. How else will I spread the word of Islam as is to others? How will I argue about right or wrong and convey the message of Allah. I will surely be questioned about it after I die. What knowledge did I gain in the way of Islam?

Because of the importance of knowledge, Allah (SWT) commanded His Messenger to seek more of it. Allah (SWT) says:

“and say: ‘My Lord! Increase me in knowledge”[Ta-Ha 20:114]

Islam calls us to seek knowledge. The Prophet (PBUH) made seeking knowledge an obligation upon every Muslim, and he explained that the superiority of the one who has knowledge over the one who merely worships is like the superiority of the moon over every other heavenly body. He said that the scholars are the heirs of the Prophets and that the Prophets did not leave behind dinars and dirhams (i.e., money), rather their inheritance was knowledge, so whoever acquires it has gained a great share. The Prophet (PBUH) said that seeking knowledge is a way to Paradise. He (PBUH) said:
“Whoever follows a path in the pursuit of knowledge, Allah (SWT) will make a path
to Paradise easy for him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-‘Ilm, 10)

Islam calls us to learn all kinds of beneficial knowledge. Branches of knowledge vary in status, the highest of which is knowledge of sharee’ah, then knowledge of medicine, then the other fields of knowledge.

The best of all branches of knowledge are the sciences of sharee’ah through which can comes to know his Lord, and his Prophet and religion. This is the knowledge with which Allah (SWT) honoured His Messenger; He taught it to him so that he might teach it to mankind.

There is no goodness in knowledge which is not confirmed by action, or words which are not confirmed by deeds:

“O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do?
Most hateful it is with Allâh that you say that which you do not do”[al-Saff :2-3]

Knowledge brings a great reward. The one who points the way to something good is like the one who does it. When the knowledgeable person dies, his reward with Allah (SWT) does not cease when he dies, rather it continues to increase so long as people benefit from his knowledge.

The Prophet (PBUH) said:


“When a man dies, all his deeds come to an end except for three – an ongoing charity, beneficial knowledge or a righteous son who will pray for him.”
(Narrated by Muslim, 1631)

The first and most crucial obligation on us is to acquire knowledge and secondly to practice and preach this knowledge. No man becomes truly a Muslim without knowing the meaning of Islam, because he becomes a Muslim not through birth but through knowledge.
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~socs343/khutbah_pdf/KNOWLEDGE.pdf

May Allah increase us in knowledge that is beneficial to us and people around us. Ameen


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaykum.
It is by the tawfiq that Allah has granted to you that you have realised the futility of arguing.

Time is a gift which Allah gives to us, that we may know Him, love Him and worship Him. Always check your intentions - what was the real reason for your debate?

The Scholars advise that we refrain from these arguments, and spend this time doing something more meaningful.

Make sincere dua to Allah and He will provide for you the means to seek knowledge inshallah. And make dua for me too, for we are all prone to making mistakes and getting caught up in pointless debates!

Nice blog mashallah - keep it up.

samay said...

@talibah

walaikumsalam

yes, i do think of it as a blessing - cos i usually end up quitting in the middle of the argument - cos i dont see why tempers should runh high.

youre right about the intention - the good that did come out of it was finally i was pushed to glean more knowledge. which i had been lazy about earlier on.

jazakÁllah for visiting th blog and the dua